Government of Pennsville Township
Lower Penns Neck Township was formed on July 10, 1721 when Penn's Neck Township was subdivided and Upper Penns Neck Township (now Carneys Point Township) was also formed. The township was incorporated by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798 as one of New Jersey's original group of 104 townships. The township was renamed Pennsville Township by the results of a referendum held on November 2, 1965.
Pennsville Township is governed under the Township form of government with a five-member Township Committee. Under New Jersey law, a township is a political entity which is responsible for collecting property taxes and providing services such as maintaining roads, garbage collection, water, sewer, schools, police and fire protection. The Township form of local government is used by 27% of New Jersey municipalities.
The Township Committee is elected directly by the voters in partisan elections to serve three-year terms of office on a staggered basis, with one or two seats coming up for election each year. At its annual reorganization meeting, held on Jan 1st, the committee selects one of its elected members to serve as mayor and preside at meetings, and who holds the powers vested in all mayors under state law. Another of the township committee members is elected deputy mayor, and all members of the committee provide oversight of various township departments, in addition to local legislative responsibilities.