The Pennsville Police Department is currently accepting applications.
Position: Entry Level Police Officer
The Pennsville Police Department is currently seeking motivated and responsible individuals to apply for the position of an entry level police officer. Integrity is a must. The applicant must meet the following eligibility requirement:
- A citizen of the United States.
- A resident of the state of New Jersey.
- Current holder of a valid New Jersey driver’s license.
- Of mental and bodily health sufficient to satisfy the Board of Trustees of the Police and Fireman’s Retirement System of New Jersey that he/she would be eligible for membership in the retirement system.
- Able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently.
- Of good moral character and free from conviction of any crime constituting an indictable offense or any crime of offense involving moral turpitude.
- Able to pass such written, oral, physical and psychological examinations as may be approved by the Township Committee and Chief of Police and meet essential job performance requirements.
- A graduate from a senior high school or shall have had formal education or training showing attainment of the level represented by graduation from senior high school.
- Possess an Associate’s Degree in Applied Science from an accredited college or 65 college credits towards such degree. It is preferred the degree or credits are in Law Enforcement, Criminal Justice or an associated field of study.
- In lieu of the college requirements, an applicant may be considered eligible if he/she has served at least four years in the United States Military and was honorably discharged or have prior law enforcement experience.
All applications will be screened to make sure the above requirements are met. Applicants meeting the above requirements will be asked to complete a fitness test, which will include the following minimums:
- Vertical Jump of 15 inches
- Sit-Ups, 28 repetitions in one minute
- 300 meter run completed in under 70.1 seconds
- Push-ups, 24 repetitions in one minute
- 5 mile run completed in under 15 minutes and 55 seconds
Applicants satisfactorily completing the fitness test will be subjected to a thorough and comprehensive background review. Applicants receiving a favorable recommendation for continuation in the hiring process will then be scheduled for an oral interview.
After determining the most suitable candidate(s), the candidate(s) will be required to undergo a physical and psychological examination by the designated Township physician. The candidate will also be required to submit a urine sample for pre-employment drug screening. Any candidate that produces a positive test result for the use of illegal drugs will:
- Result in the applicant being dropped from the consideration for employment
- Cause the applicant’s name to be reported to the central drug registry maintained by the Division of State Police; and preclude the applicant from being considered for future law enforcement employment for a period of two years.
- In addition, the notice shall indicate that if the applicant is currently employed by another agency as a sworn law enforcement officer and the officer tests positive for illegal drug use, the officer’s employing agency will be notified of the test results and the officer will be terminated from employment and permanently barred from future law enforcement employment in New Jersey
At the time a conditional offer of employment is made, the candidate will be advised of the salary, the anticipated starting date, the one-year probationary period and any other terms that may be set by the appointing authority consistent with prevailing law.
The Chief of Police reserves the right to disqualify any applicant, at any phase of the hiring process prior to appointment as a probationary police officer, upon the discovery of any fact that the Chief of Police feels would normally exclude said applicant from the continuation in the hiring process, including the discovery of false, misleading or incomplete information on the application for employment.
Applications will be accepted by those applicants who are either PTC certified or not PTC certified, so long as they meet the stated eligibility requirements. Preference may be given to those applicants that are currently certified by the NJ PTC.
Applicants that are not PTC certified will be hired as a Recruit until completion of an accredited police academy. The current Recruit salary is $30,000/yr. Once obtaining a PTC certification, the recruit will be hired as a probationary police officer with a current starting salary of $46,277/yr (2022) or $48,222/yr (2023), depending on the year of completion.
Pennsville Township is an equal opportunity employer.
All interested persons may obtain an application at the Pennsville Police Department, located at 90 North Broadway, Pennsville, NJ 08070. Applications along with a resume must be returned to the Pennsville Police Department no later than Friday, November 4, 2022 by 3pm. Any questions regarding the application process can be directed to Detective Sergeant Brian Streitz at email@example.com or (856) 678-3089 Ext. 100
Chief Patrick Spillman
Pennsville Police Department
October 13, 2022